[rfc] progress bar and redirecting output of some bzr commands

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Wed May 10 13:17:58 BST 2006

Probably it bug. When bzr command invoked as subprocess by another
program (per example, fte editor could launch bzr command and
automatically grab output) then progress bar anyway printed to stderr
and create some confusing output.

Reproduce problem:

bzr init
echo spam > foo.bar
bzr add
bzr ci -m initial
bzr log >log.txt 2>stderr

Content of log.txt:

revno: 1
committer: Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net>
branch nick: test
timestamp: Wed 2006-05-10 15:01:18 +0300
message:
   initial
added:
   foo.bar

Content of stderr:

/ [                                                       ] read knit
index 0/1
- [=======================================================] read knit
index 2/2

/ [                                                       ] read knit
index 0/1
index 2/2

In bzr.0.7 I don't remember such behaviour. I check this with bzr 0.7
and stderr.txt is really empty.

It is possible to suppress progress bar output when stderr redirected
via pipe? At least for most used commands.

--
Alexander