post 0.8 development

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Wed May 10 12:04:31 BST 2006

Robert Collins wrote:

> Really, do deal with latency here, solve the root cause :). Either make
> the branch list opaque to the user, not a real directory on disk, so
> that a system maintained compact list of branches is doable, or
> eliminate the multiplying latency cost via async requests or a smart
> server.

With a smart server, only one request is sufficient :

- Hi, pls give me the list of branches !
[ smart server does a recursive exploration server-side ]
- OK, here it is : ...

For HTTP, there could be a simple PHP/CGI script doing that.

One argument in favor of this is that "browse" won't be used very often,
so it's not necessarily dramatic if it's slow under some circumstances.

(I'm not yet 100% convinced by either approach, but bringing my 2cents)

--
Matthieu