pqm at canonical.com key needs a new email, and some signatures

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue May 9 15:08:03 BST 2006

Martin Pool wrote:
> On  9 May 2006, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 21:26 +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
>>> Which means, "make a local signature that won't be exported/uploaded".
>>> But that means each person must individually make sure they have the
>>> right one.  What's wrong with making a regular untrusted signature?
>> well, I need to read up on the new transitive trust stuff in GPG. Until
>> that existed, there was *no* trust metric published with a signature.
>>
>> Even with that existing, and the ability to export the trust, a
>> signature still asserts that you have verified the identity of the
>> person that can make signatures with that key....
>>
>> And I'm *really* hoping you haven't managed to do that :)
>
> OK, so "lsign" means "I'm not really sure, but I'm prepared to assume
> it's the right person", whereas "sign" is "I declare to the world at
> large this is the right person".  For the person signing the effect is
> the same.
>
> So, really, if Robert created the key and knows its the one being used,
> he should publish a signature.  Others can sign it if they're convinced
> it's the right one.

Well, we still need it to have 'pqm at pqm.ubuntu.com'.
My understanding of 'lsign' is that it is 'local sign', meaning you will
sign it, but won't ever upload your signature to a keyserver.

Most clients use a trust model of "if enough people that I trust have
signed that key, then I will trust that key". Which doesn't have a
concept of how much the other people trust the key, just that they
signed it.

I would like to be able to trust the pqm because Martin, Robert, James,
and Aaron all trust it, without having to go out and sign it myself.

I really think there are benefits to having the pqm's key signed by
others. But I don't know what the gpg world's idea is, since it seems to
only want to claim a physical document => digital signature connection.
(Verifying passports and drivers licenses is all good, except that still
doesn't confirm the person, just a couple of documents => digital key).

Anyway, I can lsign the key, but I really want to get at least
'pqm at pqm.ubuntu.com' added to the key.
Otherwise no form of trust matters, since the user doesn't match the
committer.