Bug: bzr hangs while attempting to pull

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue May 9 03:36:44 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 11:29 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> I have a mirror which automatically updates itself every night. It is a
> standalone weave-format branch which points at
> "http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev".
>
> When I try to run 'bzr pull' in that directory, the program hangs (for
> hours).
> Attached is the compressed log, and the traceback after manually
> canceling the job.

This is expected behaviour.

joins of knits into versioned files extract each version and insert it.
because the knit only pulls the required data down the pipe, you will
pay multiples of latency.

This can be fixed by making a KnitToWeave special case for the
InterVersionedFile optimisation group. Or by adding a API for
pre-caching data for joins (which seems bogus to me - we can exhaust
memory that way). Or by adding an iterate-over-full-versions api which
the knit can use for generating a large readv request etc.

Rob