post 0.8 development

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Tue May 9 00:22:47 BST 2006

John A Meinel wrote:

> You're thinking something like 'bzr browse', right?

Yes.

> I could see a tool that just does a recursive transport.list_dir(), and
> looks for '.bzr' directories. That would actually work for both
> repositories, and collections of standalone branches.
>
> The problem is that the round-trip overhead is probably murderous. You
> have a 'list_dir()' call for each directory, and then a 'stat' call for
> every entry (to determine if it is a file or a directory).

The network overhead is great, but OTOH, that wouldn't be worse than
browsing manually a repository with a browser and directory listing.

> Because of that overhead, I believe there was a little bit of discussion
> about making repositories more directly aware of what branches they
> contained. (.bzr/repository/branch-list type of thing).
> Then it would also work over http.
> But it has some of the same issues as Arch's .listing files (easy to
> become out of date)

And one more : it's great to be able to just

   rm -fr /path/to/branch

or

   mv oldbranch newbranch

(which wasn't possible in Arch anyway)

But for sure, having a fast "bzr browse" through HTTP would be nice.
Don't know what's best ...

--
Matthieu