bazaar-ng 0.8 released
mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon May 8 05:54:13 BST 2006
I'm happy to announce the release of bazaar-ng (bzr) 0.8. This release
contains many improvements on 0.7, and upgrading is recommended for all
users. This release supports a new storage format and upgrading
existing data is recommended but not required.
Source is available from
If you're using the bzrtools plugin please note that a new version
which fully supports bzr 0.8 will be available shortly.
bzr 0.8 2006-05-08
NOTES WHEN UPGRADING:
Release 0.8 of bzr introduces a new format for history storage, called
'knit', as an evolution of to the 'weave' format used in 0.7. Local
and remote operations are faster using knits than weaves. Several
operations including 'init', 'init-repo', and 'upgrade' take a
--format option that controls this. Branching from an existing branch
will keep the same format.
It is possible to merge, pull and push between branches of different
formats but this is slower than moving data between homogenous
branches. It is therefore recommended (but not required) that you
upgrade all branches for a project at the same time. Information on
formats is shown by 'bzr info'.
bzr 0.8 now allows creation of 'repositories', which hold the history
of files and revisions for several branches. Previously bzr kept all
the history for a branch within the .bzr directory at the root of the
branch, and this is still the default. To create a repository, use
the new 'bzr init-repo' command. Branches exist as directories under
the repository and contain just a small amount of information
indicating the current revision of the branch.
bzr 0.8 also supports 'checkouts', which are similar to in cvs and
subversion. Checkouts are associated with a branch (optionally in a
repository), which contains all the historical information. The
result is that a checkout can be deleted without losing any
already-committed revisions. A new 'update' command is also available.
Repositories and checkouts are not supported with the 0.7 storage
format. To use them you must upgrad to either knits, or to the
'metaweave' format, which uses weaves but changes the .bzr directory
* Sftp paths can now be relative, or local, according to the lftp
convention. Paths now take the form:
* The FTP transport now tries to reconnect after a temporary
failure. ftp put is made atomic. (Matthieu Moy)
* The FTP transport now maintains a pool of connections, and
reuses them to avoid multiple connections to the same host (like
sftp did). (Daniel Silverstone)
* The bzr_man.py file has been removed. To create the man page now,
use ./generate_docs.py man. The new program can also create other files.
Run "python generate_docs.py --help" for usage information. (Hans
Ulrich Niedermann & James Blackwell).
* Man Page now gives full help (James Blackwell). Help also updated to
reflect user config now being stored in .bazaar (Hans Ulrich
* It's now possible to set aliases in bazaar.conf (Erik Bågfors)
* Pull now accepts a --revision argument (Erik Bågfors)
* 'bzr re-sign' now allows multiple revisions to be supplied on the command
line. You can now use the following command to sign all of your old commits.
find .bzr/revision-store// -name my at email-* \
| sed 's/.*\/\/..\///' \
| xargs bzr re-sign
* Upgrade can now upgrade over the network. (Robert Collins)
* Two new commands 'bzr checkout' and 'bzr update' allow for CVS/SVN-alike
behaviour. By default they will cache history in the checkout, but
with --lightweight almost all data is kept in the master branch.
* 'revert' unversions newly-versioned files, instead of deleting them.
* 'merge' is more robust. Conflict messages have changed.
* 'merge' and 'revert' no longer clobber existing files that end in '~' or
* Default log format can be set in configuration and plugins can register
their own formatters. (Erik Bågfors)
* New 'reconcile' command will check branch consistency and repair indexes
that can become out of sync in pre 0.8 formats. (Robert Collins,
* New 'bzr init --format' and 'bzr upgrade --format' option to control
what storage format is created or produced. (Robert Collins,
* Add parent location to 'bzr info', if there is one. (Olaf Conradi)
* New developer commands 'weave-list' and 'weave-join'. (Martin Pool)
* New 'init-repository' command, plus support for repositories in 'init'
and 'branch' (Aaron Bentley, Erik Bågfors, Robert Collins)
* Improve output of 'info' command. Show all relevant locations related to
working tree, branch and repository. Use kibibytes for binary quantities.
Fix off-by-one error in missing revisions of working tree. Make 'info'
work on branches, repositories and remote locations. Show locations
relative to the shared repository, if applicable. Show locking status
of locations. (Olaf Conradi)
* Diff and merge now safely handle binary files. (Aaron Bentley)
* 'pull' and 'push' now normalise the revision history, so that any two
branches with the same tip revision will have the same output from 'log'.
* 'merge' accepts --remember option to store parent location, like 'push'
and 'pull'. (Olaf Conradi)
* bzr status and diff when files given as arguments do not exist
in the relevant trees. (Martin Pool, #3619)
* Add '.hg' to the default ignore list. (Martin Pool)
* 'knit' is now the default disk format. This improves disk performance and
utilization, increases incremental pull performance, robustness with SFTP
and allows checkouts over SFTP to perform acceptably.
The initial Knit code was contributed by Johan Rydberg based on a
specification by Martin Pool.
(Robert Collins, Aaron Bentley, John Rydberg, Martin Pool).
* New tool to generate all-in-one html version of the manual. (Alexander
* Hitting CTRL-C while doing an SFTP push will no longer cause stale locks
to be left in the SFTP repository. (Robert Collins, Martin Pool).
* New option 'diff --prefix' to control how files are named in diff
output, with shortcuts '-p0' and '-p1' corresponding to the options for
GNU patch. (Alexander Belchenko, Goffredo Baroncelli, Martin Pool)
* Add --revision option to 'annotate' command. (Olaf Conradi)
* Add --revision option to 'annotate' command. (Olaf Conradi)
* If bzr shows an unexpected revision-history after pulling (perhaps due
to a reweave) it can now be corrected by 'bzr reconcile'.
* Commit is now verbose by default, and shows changed filenames and the
new revision number. (Robert Collins, Martin Pool)
* Unify 'mv', 'move', 'rename'. (#5379, Matthew Fuller)
* 'bzr -h' shows help. (#35940, Martin Pool, Ian Bicking)
* Make 'pull' and 'push' remember location on failure using --remember.
* For compatibility, make old format for using weaves inside metadir
available as 'metaweave' format. Rename format 'metadir' to 'default'.
Clean up help for option --format in commands 'init', 'init-repo' and
'upgrade'. (Olaf Conradi)
* The internal storage of history, and logical branch identity have now
been split into Branch, and Repository. The common locking and file
management routines are now in bzrlib.lockablefiles.
(Aaron Bentley, Robert Collins, Martin Pool)
* Transports can now raise DependencyNotPresent if they need a library
which is not installed, and then another implementation will be
tried. (Martin Pool)
* Remove obsolete (and no-op) `decode` parameter to `Transport.get`.
* Using Tree Transform for merge, revert, tree-building
* WorkingTree.create, Branch.create, WorkingTree.create_standalone,
Branch.initialize are now deprecated. Please see BzrDir.create_* for
replacement API's. (Robert Collins)
* New BzrDir class represents the .bzr control directory and manages
formatting issues. (Robert Collins)
* New repository.InterRepository class encapsulates Repository to
Repository actions and allows for clean selection of optimised code
paths. (Robert Collins)
* bzrlib.fetch.fetch and bzrlib.fetch.greedy_fetch are now deprecated,
please use 'branch.fetch' or 'repository.fetch' depending on your
needs. (Robert Collins)
* deprecated methods now have a 'is_deprecated' flag on them that can
be checked, if you need to determine whether a given callable is
deprecated at runtime. (Robert Collins)
* Progress bars are now nested - see
bzrlib.ui.ui_factory.nested_progress_bar. (Robert Collins, Robey Pointer)
* New API call get_format_description() for each type of format.
* Changed branch.set_parent() to accept None to remove parent.
* Deprecated BzrError AmbiguousBase. (Olaf Conradi)
* WorkingTree.branch is now a read only property. (Robert Collins)
* bzrlib.ui.text.TextUIFactory now accepts a bar_type parameter which
can be None or a factory that will create a progress bar. This is
useful for testing or for overriding the bzrlib.progress heuristic.
* New API method get_physical_lock_status() to query locks present on a
transport. (Olaf Conradi)
* Repository.reconcile now takes a thorough keyword parameter to allow
requesting an indepth reconciliation, rather than just a data-loss
check. (Robert Collins)
* bzrlib.ui.ui_factory protocol now supports 'get_boolean' to prompt
the user for yes/no style input. (Robert Collins)
* SFTP tests now shortcut the SSH negotiation, reducing test overhead
for testing SFTP protocol support. (Robey Pointer)
* Branch formats are now tested once per implementation (see bzrlib.
tests.branch_implementations. This is analagous to the transport
interface tests, and has been followed up with working tree,
repository and BzrDir tests. (Robert Collins)
* New test base class TestCaseWithTransport provides a transport aware
test environment, useful for testing any transport-interface using
code. The test suite option --transport controls the transport used
by this class (when its not being used as part of implementation
contract testing). (Robert Collins)
* Close logging handler on disabling the test log. This will remove the
handler from the internal list inside python's logging module,
preventing shutdown from closing it twice. (Olaf Conradi)
* Move test case for uncommit to blackbox tests. (Olaf Conradi)
* run_bzr and run_bzr_captured now accept a 'stdin="foo"' parameter which
will provide String("foo") to the command as its stdin.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 191 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
Url : https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar/attachments/20060508/2a0b0d87/attachment.pgp
More information about the bazaar