Simplified Tutorial

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Sun May 7 18:12:18 BST 2006

On 5/7/06, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:

(...) [lots of stuff deleted]

> I don't know if 'shared repository' is a great term to be using. I think
> we started using it, because we have been a little focused on the
> implementation. And I'm realizing we need to step back a little bit, and
> come at it from a user, rather than as a developer.
> A repository is a repository, and it may have the 'shared' bit set.
> Which tells other branches to use it, rather than creating their own.
>
> And I think that is the way we can make it clear in user's minds. "If
> you create a repository with 'bzr init-repo', branches in subdirectories
> will use it for storing history. Otherwise, each branch will create its
> own repository inside the .bzr directory for that branch".
>
> I don't have to use the word 'shared' at all for that explanation. I
> think it is relatively clear, and is a true statement (always a bonus :)
>
> What if we change the help text for init-repo to:
>
> Create a repository where branches can share history storage.
>
> New branches created under the repository directory will store their
> revisions in the repository, rather than creating a separate repository
> inside the branch directory (if the branch format supports shared storage).

For what is worth, this is certainly much clearer to me. However, it
might help if it is explained (probably not in the command line help,
but somewhere else, like a tutotiral or doc) what are the pros/cons of
each in terms of storage space, speed, simplicity of merging, etc.

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Bioinformatics Unit