[rfc] Readonly/mirror branches

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri May 5 15:55:40 BST 2006

I've been thinking about my workspace, and I have a bunch of mirrors of
other people's projects. And I was thinking that it would be nice to
mark all of those mirrors as non-committable, but that I can update them
from their parents.
(So pull is allowed, but commit is not).

For example, I might mirror someones plugin locally, and then create a
checkout in ~/.bazaar/plugins
I don't really want to be able to commit there, since I wouldn't want to
mess up my mirror.

I'm not sure what the best solution is. I did try to do "bzr bind
readonly+sftp://host/path/bzr.dev/" and I found that you can't bind to a
readonly branch. For whatever reason it tries to lock the remote branch.
(I'm assuming it is trying to push any missing changes over, though the
trees are in sync).

Anyway, I just wanted to hear comments from people to see if a mirror
flag might be worthwhile. Readonly is probably too strong, since I do
want to be able to update it.