[ANN][PLUGIN] extending diff with graphical tools

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed May 3 09:55:53 BST 2006

On 02/05/2006, at 9:48 AM, Stephen Ward wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've updated the difftools plugin to handle non-recursive tools by
> iterating
> over all the modified files (note: like 'bzr diff', it is skipping the
> added/deleted files).
>
> It also uses the working tree whenever possible now (instead of
> temp dirs), so
> that edits can be saved most of the time.  The main exceptions are
> diffs
> between two old revisions, and diffs between two branches (where
> the 2nd
> branch is the "new" revision); these still use temp dirs for both
> trees.
>
> I've also added an initializer for 'mgdiff'.
>
> Give it a try, and let me know if it isn't working the way you'd
> expect.

This looks very nice.

If you run it on a whole tree with a file-at-a-time tool like vimdiff
then it's a bit hard to escape -- each time i quit vim a new one
comes up until I've seen all the files.  In particular this is
annoying if you forget to give a filename.

I can't think of a totally satisfactory way to avoid it though.
Perhaps it could prompt to continue or quit after each file.  This
would need to be a per difftool option - for things that produce a
text diff I wouldn't want it.

I haven't looked at the code much yet but would definitely be happy
to have the feature post 0.8.

--
Martin