SFTP tests fail on Windows

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon May 1 21:55:42 BST 2006

I just wanted to resurrect an old thread, but I can't find it.

Anyway, Alexander reported a while ago that the SFTP tests fail on
windows. When I was looking into it, the biggest problem was just that
the SFTPServer did not have a way to represent absolute paths as sftp
urls. So the client & server couldn't agree on what file was being
specified. (get_url() was returning something a little weird).

From my point of view, the best URL should mimic the file:/// interface,
so it would be:

sftp://localhost/C|/path/to/foo

I suppose we should also support:
sftp://localhost/C:/path/to/foo

I don't remember what I thought it would take to get that to work, but
as I recall the URL aspect was the major reason why sftp tests were
failing. (The stub_server couldn't find the files that the client was
trying to request).

I don't know if you have any time to look into it Alexander, but since
you raised the issue, I thought I would mention what I thought was the
solution.