Tiny problem with knits and http (double-encoding?)

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 17:01:09 BST 2006

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:16:17 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> However, your server seems to be double unescaping this to translate:
>
> %254d => M (%25=>%, and %4d=> M)
>
> At least the error message is:
> The requested URL
> /bzr/vos/.bzr/repository/knits/9b/Makefile.am-20060328145850-abc9b80cb43dfb63.kndx
> was not found on this server.
>                                 ^^^^^^ See it translated it back to "M"

That's... really weird.

> You seem to be running Apache 1.3.33, while I am running apache 2.0.54

dpkg -s apache2 | grep '^Version'
Version: 2.0.54-5ubuntu1

And the bug report you pasted is not an apache bug, it's some XML library.
In fact, doing just what you did (putting the same file on my local
apache) works just fine.

Hmm, it seems the blame does not belong to apache after all.  This site is
running behind a reverse proxy on JBlack's server, and it seems the proxy
is removing one level of quoting, so what finally gets to apache is
already unusable.  Now why would a proxy do that...

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
personal:                              http://www.laranja.org/
technical:                    http://lalo.revisioncontrol.net/