Saving log on failed commit

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Apr 28 20:00:34 BST 2006

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> If that hasn't been implemented yet, would it be possible
> to save the log entered in the editor somewhere when the
> commit fails for any reason?
>
> Having the temporary file in <workdir>/bzr-log.N and not
> removing it until the commit succeeds would work as well.
>
> Thanks in advance,

There was some discussion about putting it it .bzr/checkout/log

Since that would be a sort of "working space" for the checkout.

But recently there was also a discussion of using .bzr/tmp for things
that can safely be removed/not backed up.

The problem with doing <workdir>/bzr-log.N is that it would conceptually
cause "bzr commit --strict" to fail because of an unknown file. (A
simple ignore glob would fix this).

So, I understand the need, it has been discussed, but no conclusions
have been reached / patches submitted.