"Using Saved Location: foo"

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Apr 28 04:39:16 BST 2006

Robey Pointer wrote:

> On 27 Apr 2006, at 13:11, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>
>> Jan Hudec wrote:
>>>
>>> I think we could just treat them all the same. Except for local paths
>>> (where
>>> everything is decoded) these would never be encoded when URL is
>>> received and
>>> never decoded when it is printed.
>>>
>>> Also this list does not include the #, that is forbidden in URL and
>>> is used
>>> to separate the fragment in URL-reference. We need to treat that as
>>> reserved
>>> as well.
>>>
>>> I wonder what '$' is used for (it's reserved in query string, but the
>>> RFC
>>> does not give any rules for that), but let's be consistent with the
>>> spec.
>>>

>> Well, it does happen the bzrlib will encode some of those characters.
>> For example if your file has a ',' in it, it will be escaped.
>> But I do think it is good to try and display safe urls (ones that you
>> can then paste into a browser). So I'm okay with leaving them escaped.
>
> Why not just leave everything encoded *except* UTF-8?  (ie, only decode
> %80-%FF)  Or am I overthinking?
>
> robey

Because then you would get:

path_with_%28parenthesis%29

Also the path %EE%EE is not a valid UTF-8 path, but it would be a valid
latin-1 path. %EE => î in latin-1 => %C3%AE in utf-8

So just decoding that doesn't mean that we will even have valid utf-8.

Also, space is one of those characters that gets quoted, that would be
nice to see, since it "john meinel" is better than "john%20meinel".