Filesystem paths

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Apr 27 14:25:13 BST 2006

Jan Hudec wrote:

>> File urls are probably actually a very reasonable way to enter paths
>> that are hard to type - the presence of the file: scheme indicates
>> the rest is %-escaped.  Although at present they're not much use for
>> files inside a working directory, and they have to be absolute...
>
> We could add an extension:
>
> file:relative/path
>
> (ie. NOT starting with // -- file://relative/path is wrong, because the
> 'relative' would mean host, whatever that means for file: protocol).

That is possible. But for now, I think we'll just wait until it becomes
an issue. I think 99.99% of the time, people can type their unicode
path, without having to do URL style. (Mentally, writing a URL is going
to be very painful. If you have a script doing it, it can just supply
the absolute path)