migrating to knits for bzr.dev

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Apr 27 01:57:09 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 10:37 +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 27/04/2006, at 10:28 AM, Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > I think we should migrate bzr.dev to knits prerelease. Heres why:
> >
> > All the existing users will need to migrate, and they will look to us
> > for lessons on migrating. If we haven't migrated before the
> > release, we
> > cannot advise usefully.
> >
> > Additionally, without serious use, we won't flush the last remaining
> > bugs from the system. Once again, bzr itself is one of the best places
> > to do this.
>
> I had wanted to make sure you could pull each new release using the
> previous format, but these two probably trump 1that.
>
> So this'd be OK with me.

Ok. so some planning then:

Once we change, pulls for people using weaves from bzr.dev will become
very slow, as it constructs a full weave to use the weave joining logic
on (which can reweave etc as needed).

So I think we should publish a date. Like 'Monday 0000 UTC' when the
conversion will happen. Everyone should ensure they have pulled bzr
before then, to be sure they have the latest code (without very slow
pulls). At that time we convert the bzr.dev branch to knits, and people
can do their own local conversion before the next time they pull. If
they forget, its slow not critical, so no biggie.

Hows that sound?

Rob