pre-commit hooks and $Id$ banners?

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sun Apr 23 18:26:35 BST 2006

Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 09:40:58AM -0500 I heard the voice of
> John Arbash Meinel, and lo! it spake thus:
>> The problem is that it only sets it to the "LastChangedRevision" of
>> *this* file. So I have to put one in *every* file, just so that I
>> can figure out what state my project is in.
>
> That would be the behavior I _want_   ;)

So you're saying that you don't want $Revision$ to change when the tree
changes if the file itself hasn't changed. Is that correct?

So we would need a "LastChangedRevision" *and* a "TreeRevision" style
tags. Correct?

Can you explain your use case, for why you want that behavior? I think
we can support it, but it might be best to support what a user is trying
to do, rather than trying to support their exact steps.