[BUG] Knit code assertion error

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Apr 20 15:43:56 BST 2006

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 22:21 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>> Robert Collins wrote:
>>> just grabbing lunch, will be back soon.
>>>
>>> I have encountered a variation on the short read, in _read_eof, so I'm
>>> going to debug that and add a test for it. Hopefully they are closely
>>> related.
>>>
>>> Rob
>> I think I might have a clue as to the problem. It only happens at the
>> time you *create* the working tree. On the new machine, it successfully
>> creates a branch in a knit repository, but then doing:
>>
>> $ bzr checkout
>> bzr: ERROR: exceptions.AssertionError:
>>   at /home/jameinel/dev/bzr/bzr.dev/bzrlib/knit.py line 1270
>>   in _parse_record
>>
>> Hopefully that will help you track down the problem.
>
> This problem _should_ have been fixed in the commit for revision 1649 -
> which fixed the line splitting to not split on \r.
>
> I'll need a copy of the knit format repository (as generated by current
> bzr.dev) to debug this - seeing the data coming out is critical.
>
> Rob

Well, with a newer revision of bzr.dev:
 1675 Canonical.com Patch Queue Manager 2006-04-20
      (mbp) #36963, #3619, #39657, other cleanups

It now gives a different error at the time of checkout:
$ bzr checkout
bzr: ERROR: struct.error: unpack str size does not match format
  at /home/jameinel/dev/bzr/bzr.dev/bzrlib/tuned_gzip.py line 143
  in _read_eof

The tarball is quite a bit bigger (I assume because everything is
gzipped, and thus bz2 can't do as well) but you can get it here:
http://src.i-clic.uihc.uiowa.edu/bzr/mifar-repo-knit.tar.bz2

So to be clear, I can branch into a repository that does not contain
working trees. And I can upgrade an existing branch. But when I go to
create a working tree, it causes the above error. (If you want, I can
attach the traceback).