comments on release candidate

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 18:59:42 BST 2006

Congrats for getting out a release candidate. I'd love to see a 0.8
release soon.
Here are some random comments on the RC...

1) metadir format not default?
This should really change since it's needed for shared, repos, bound
branches,checkouts, etc.  Most of us use them, and I think they have
been tested really good.

2) knits still experimental.
Are they not planned for 0.8? 0.8 was going to be default for at least
a year I thought? What's keeping it back?

3) bzr branch cannot branch TO a remote location
This bothers me

See https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+bug/35566

4) Paths are always from root of tree,
See https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+bug/30159

5) : [bagfors at zyrgelkwyt]$ ; bzr init
bzr: ERROR: Already a branch: .. Use `bzr checkout` to build a working tree.

But I already have a working tree

6) bzr help init-repo
example:
    bzr init-repo repo
    bzr init --format=metadir repo/trunk
    cd repo/trunk
    (add files here)

Bad example (see earlier mail)

7) : [bagfors at zyrgelkwyt]$ ; bzr help branch
usage: bzr branch FROM_LOCATION [TO_LOCATION]

Not clear that TO_LOCATION has to be local. Some information on how to
create a remote branch would be good.

8) bzr help checkout
Description of normal checkouts is under --lightweight, that's where I
would expect to read about ligthweight checkouts, not normal..

9) bzr help commit
Talks about bound branches, but I can't find anything else about bound
branches. Under "bzr help checkout", it's never talked about bound
branches, just "normal checkouts". (which happens to be the same, but
that's not said anywhere)

10) bzr init defaults to ., bzr init-repo does not default to .,
MAYBE this is intentional and good? Just inconsistent I think

11) bzr pull cannot create a new branch, bzr push can create a new
branch. I expect them to behave the same.

See https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+bug/35566

12) bzr help
the warning
WARNING: This is an unstable development version.
         Please keep backups.

Should be removed, since this is a RC, or do you want to keep that under 2.0?

Regards,
Erik