[RFC] init-repo take --tree option

Robey Pointer robey at lag.net
Thu Apr 6 02:36:03 BST 2006

On 30 Mar 2006, at 1:36, Erik Bågfors wrote:

> 2006/3/30, Wouter Bolsterlee <uws at xs4all.nl>:
>> På Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 07:07:04PM -0600, Matthew D. Fuller skrev:
>>> On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:38:05PM +0200 I heard the voice of
>>> Erik B?gfors, and lo! it spake thus:

>>> We're getting awful close to 0.8; we're kinda due to address this...
>>>
>>> Michael posted a patch to add --no-prefix on Mar 2, which would at
>>> least give the option of turning it off.  Discussions about the
>>> default keep tailing off...
>>
>> The a/ and b/ stuff renders my patches to various projects I use
>> bzr for (as
>> a personal vcs, upstream uses cvs/svn/foo) almost useless for people.
>
> I hate not being able to cut and paste. The filename given by diff
> points to files that doesn't exist.
>
> I vote for the old 0.7 default to be back. -p1 as an option.  People
> who wants it to be default, can set it default in an alias.

I've been away for a bit but saved this one to reply to: I'd like to
change my vote.

I, too, prefer the 0.7 default now, after seeing the a/ b/ form for a
while.  I do think it should be an option to use one or the other,
but after doing diffs and patches with the new format, the a/ b/
stuff is just annoying visual noise because it doesn't add any real
info.  In the future when the prefixes are meaningful branch or
revision names, I'll probably warm to them again, but right now: yuck.

robey