0.8r1559: Strange behavior with repository in /

Jos Backus jos at catnook.com
Sat Mar 25 01:45:36 GMT 2006

    Hi all,

I'd like to say thanks again to all who have answered my questions in the
past.

One far-out idea I had was tracking a machine's configuration using bzr. When
trying to add files to a repository in / with 0.8, something strange happens:
the `bzr add' command hangs. This works okay in 0.7. Is this a regression?

lizzy:/# uname -a
FreeBSD lizzy.catnook.local 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #20: Sun Mar 19
17:20:05 PST 2006     root at lizzy.catnook.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LIZZY
i386
lizzy:/# echo $PYTHONPATH

lizzy:/# bzr version
bzr (bazaar-ng) 0.7
Copyright 2005,06 Canonical Development Ltd.
http://bazaar-ng.org/

bzr comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  bzr is free software, and
you may use, modify and redistribute it under the terms of the GNU
General Public License version 2 or later.
lizzy:/# bzr init
lizzy:/# bzr add etc/motd
added etc
added etc/motd
lizzy:/#

0.7 works as expected.

lizzy:/# echo $PYTHONPATH
/home/jos/bazaar-ng/src/bzr.dev/bzrlib
lizzy:/# /home/jos/bazaar-ng/src/bzr.dev/bzr version
bzr (bazaar-ng) 0.8pre
  bzr checkout, revision 1599
  nick: bzr.dev
  revid: pqm at pqm.ubuntu.com-20060323202841-c460fdfe30972b21
Copyright 2005,06 Canonical Development Ltd.
http://bazaar-ng.org/

bzr comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  bzr is free software, and
you may use, modify and redistribute it under the terms of the GNU
General Public License version 2 or later.
lizzy:/# /home/jos/bazaar-ng/src/bzr.dev/bzr init
lizzy:/# /home/jos/bazaar-ng/src/bzr.dev/bzr add etc/motd
[Here I have to hit ^C as the command hangs]
^Cbzr: ERROR: exceptions.KeyboardInterrupt:
  at /usr/local/lib/python2.4/posixpath.py line 81
  in split
lizzy:/#

Hope this is useful. Please let me know if I can supply more information.

Cheers,
--
Jos Backus
jos at catnook.com