pqm-submit weirdness...

James Henstridge james.henstridge at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 09:22:39 GMT 2006

On 23/03/06, Michael Ellerman <michael at ellerman.id.au> wrote:
> On 3/23/06, James Henstridge <james.henstridge at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Beg pardon, but newlines can be represented as distinct from soft returns:
> > >
> > > http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt
> >
> > That RFC deals with flowed text in the body of a message.  It doesn't
> > seem to say anything about representing newlines in message headers
> > (the problem in question is the generation of the "Subject" message
> > header).
>
> I don't know what the RFC says, but I've definitely seen subjects
> containing newlines in the wild. So the pqm script should probably
> handle them. Having said that it, the plugin should probably wrap
> anyway.

I don't dispute that you can have a mesasge header folded onto
multiple lines, but the newlines are not considered significant when
interpreting the headers.  See section 2.3.2 in RFC2822:

  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt

The problem here is that the pqm-submit plugin is not producing a
correctly folded Subject header (the continuation lines don't start
with whitespace).  It is pretty easy to experiment with how things get
parsed using the rfc822 or email Python modules.

James.