migrating from CVS

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Mar 6 00:18:24 GMT 2006

On 2006-03-06 Mon, at 8:17 AM, Jos Backus wrote:

Hi Jos, nice to see you again.

> Some questions:
>
> As I understand it, the Bazaar-NG model is that one has a checkout
> (tree) for
> every branch, whereas with CVS there can be one tree but checket-
> out files can
> be on different branches. We use this feature to introduce new
> software in an
> otherwise stable tree.
>
> Is my understanding of the above correct as far as Bazaar-NG goes?

This is the default case, but we are just finalizing changes which
allow other modes of operation.  You can (in bzr.dev) have a
repository holding multiple branches, but without any working trees
present.  Robert is now preparing to merge John's work on checkouts,
which allows you (as with CVS) to have a directory holding a working
copy but no other metadata.

> Say I have a CVS checkout with 1000 files, all of which are on the
> trunk but
> one file lives on a branch. Does this mean that in Bazaar-NG land I
> would have
> two almost identical trees except for the one file?

Yes, that's correct.  Or you can keep them in one repository, which
will mean the data is stored approximately as compactly as in CVS.

--
Martin