Lobbying for -p1 diffs

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Thu Mar 2 00:43:51 GMT 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 10:54:17AM +1100 I heard the voice of
Michael Ellerman, and lo! it spake thus:

> No, -p is for applying a patch to a file that's not in the current
> directory. And on any serious source tree that means *every patch*.
> So if you're typing -p0 anyway, you might as well by typing -p1.

But I don't type any -p at all   :p

> Ah bollocks, it's a couple of extra characters on the front of the
> path!

Yes, but it means I have to _read_, rather than _scan_ (and really, I
have to scan, then take a mental fault when it failed, and go back and
read, so it kills me on latency).  I expect the path in the filename
to be the path to the file, not the path to the file except with a
non-existent top-level label.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net