[RFC] New name for 'repositories' - 'baskets'

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Feb 28 21:01:59 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 15:07 +0100, Wouter van Heyst wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 08:42:34AM -0500, James Blackwell wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > > I refer to 'shared repositories' to talk about repositories which are a
> > > parent directory of many branches, and those branches have no repository
> > > co-located at their directory.
> >
> > Yes. We all agree with this. The problem is that we're using the term
> > 'repository' which is incompatible with the CVS/SVN world. There's two
> > ways to deal with this.
> >
> >  1. We not rename anything. CVS/SVN get confused because standalone
> >     branches have repositories and the thing that they're used to thinking
> >     is a repository is now called a 'shared repository'.
> >
> >  2. We rename 'shared repositories' into 'repositories'. This means that
> >     there is a need to come up with a name for what we currently call
> >     repositories. I'm in favor of this option.
> >
> >  3. We rename shared repositories into something else. This seems to be
> >     the method that Jan is in favor of.
>
> 4. Eliminate the difference.

So an important note here - in the internal code of bzr the 'sharedness'
of a repository is taken into consideration in precisely two code paths:
 * when cloning to preserve that status
 * when determining if a repository can be used by a branch.

Other than that there is are conditionals looking at is_shared.

I don't understand how calling the same object doing the same job as
both the large scale repository and the small repository storing history
for a single branch different names can be a good idea.

I think I need to -see- this confusion in action.

Rob