auto guess committer email.. good idea?

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 14:07:43 GMT 2006

Hi

I'm not a big fan of the fact that bzr tries to guess the committer
email. I think lot's of people will commit with "Foo Bar
<foo at hostname>"... and that's most likely not what they want.

I see two choices.  Give a message saying "you have not set your email
address, set it like this: <explanation>".... or do what darcs does
and ask.

----
: [bagfors at zyrgelkwyt]$ ; darcs rec -am foo
Darcs needs to know what name (conventionally an email address) to use as the
patch author, e.g. 'Fred Bloggs <fred at bloggs.invalid>'.  If you provide one
now it will be stored in the file '_darcs/prefs/author' and used as a default
in the future.  To change your preferred author address, simply delete or edit
this file.

What is your email address?
----

And then store this info as the committer for this branch.

I personally don't like the darcs way very much.

If people do a large install (on a system with multiple users) where
the guess is always correct, then it's a good idea to be able to turn
this on globally for that installation, but for most small/personal
installations, it's wrong.

/Erik