[RFC] New name for 'repositories' - 'baskets'

Michael Ellerman michael at ellerman.id.au
Tue Feb 28 08:32:07 GMT 2006

On 2/28/06, Jan Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 17:13:03 +1100, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> > I haven't read the code that does repositories, and maybe that's a
> > good thing, but my intuitive idea of "repository" is a "place where
> > there's a bunch of branches". Is that too far off?
>
> No. It's not.

Well I think it's reasonably close, although I agree it's not exactly right.

> However from what you said, it's not clear whether you think that a
> branch is always in a repository or not. And it's rather important
> distinction here.

I see your point, but I don't think it's worth introducing new terminology.

> > I think the bar for introducing new terminology should be _very_ high.
> > With mercurial and git out there, people aren't going to swallow too
> > much bzr-specific learning before they loose interest.
>
> The concept is already introduced. People will be learning of it either
> way. The question is whether it is clearer to call that concept
> 'repository' or something else.

No I think the concept is _very_ close to the CVS usage, the only
difference is that in bzr branches don't have to be in a repository -
but I think people are getting used to that idea with git/hg/tla etc.

So I agree repository isn't the _perfect_ word, but I think it gets a
user's brain closer to where we want than "basket" or some other word
with no VCS meaning.

cheers