[MERGE REVIEW]: weave merge conflict markers customizable, standards-compliant

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Feb 24 22:12:40 GMT 2006

James Blackwell wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:20:02AM -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Emacs smerge doesn't like our weave conflict markers because they don't
>> have a space after the seven '<' or '>' signs.  And they're less
>> friendly because they don't have labels.  This patch makes the markers
>> customizable, puts an extra space in the defaults, and customizes our
>> output to have the TREE and MERGE-SOURCE labels.
>
>> +        return weave.weave_merge(plan, '<<<<<<< TREE\n',
>> +                                       '>>>>>>> MERGE-SOURCE\n')
>
> Would it be possible to call it "LOCAL" and "REMOTE" rather than TREE and
> MERGE-SOURCE?
>
> Otherwise, +1.

Well, TREE and MERGE-SOURCE are what we have merge3 using. So at a
minimum, I would like them to use the same labels.

diff3 defaults to using the full path to the file. I don't remember what
CVS uses anymore.

LOCAL & REMOTE are okay. We could also use the path to the branch
(probably just branch.base). Though you can merge within your own
branch, so it doesn't mean much. REMOTE isn't accurate either, but I
guess it does give the idea.

I think I might prefer THIS,BASE,OTHER