[PLUGIN] pqm-submit

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Feb 21 06:53:13 GMT 2006

I just wrote a plugin to add the command 'bzr pqm-submit'.

Basically, this uses the local configuration to figure out how to format
a message, and send it to the patch queue manager of your choice.

The plugin is available from here:

http://bzr.arbash-meinel.com/plugins/pqm-submit

I have it wired up so that the defaults should be capable of sending a
merge request to the bzr patch queue manager.

The plugin probably needs a bit more work, since it has no real ui to
speak of. It responds more to the configuration. It looks in both the
per-branch configuration and the global configuration for these options:

pqm_email = pqm at pqm.ubuntu.com

This is the email address of the pqm you want to submit code to. You can
set a default global location, but you also get a per-branch location.

pqm_branch = http://bazaar-ng.org/bzr/bzr.dev/

This is the branch that you want the pqm to merge your new stuff into.
(This could also be supplied as an argument, I guess).

smtp_server = localhost

The smtp server to connect to. At present, I always attempt to STARTTLS,
but I didn't hook anything up for logging in. I might, as my personal
mail server won't relay without logging in. But I didn't want to type my
password every time, and I didn't want to have my password saved
somewhere. (So instead I'm using my ISP's mail relay, which doesn't
require logging in if you are within their domain).

By default we submit the 'parent' location, rather than submitting the
local branch (falling back to branch if there is no parent).
This is because most likely the 'parent' is the public branch.
It might be better to try 'push_location' then 'parent' then branch.base.

Feedback is solicited. Especially in the form of testing code or ui code.

This is also one of those places where it would be really nice if Config
was able to stack better. So that I could say "~/dev/bzr/*" submits to
one pqm, and ~/dev/work/* submits to a different pqm (not that I have a
different one, but the concept would be nice).