tags

Aaron Bentley aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca
Mon Feb 20 15:40:04 GMT 2006

John A Meinel wrote:
> Aaron Bentley wrote:
>
> Actually, I was thinking to decouple the tag identifiers from revision
> identifiers for the 'placed-in' type field.
>
> So doing something like:
>
> tag-name: bzr-0.8-foo
> tag-target: revision at id-123123123
> tag-id: tag at id-456456456
> superceeds: tag at id-234234234
>
> Yes, it re-implements the weave logic, which was why I was thinking to
> have it be inside the weave information.

So say we have this.  Then we merge, and we get:

tag-name: bzr-0.8-foo
tag-target: revision at id-435345
tag-id: tag at id-098098
supersedes: tag at id-234234234, tag at id-456456456

When we decide we want to reassign the tag back to its first value, we get:

tag-name: bzr-0.8-foo
tag-target: revision at id-123123123
tag-id: tag at id-321321
supersedes: tag at id-234234234, tag at id-456456456, tag at id-098098

Note that the tag-id must be something new, not tag at id-234234234,
because tag at id-098098 will beat tag at id-234234234.

Aren't these tag ids behaving a lot like revisions?  Wouldn't it be
better to just use revisions?  The combination of a revision ID and a
tag-name will be unique.

> And then we are having people edit a file under .bzr, which is something
> we really have been wanting to avoid.

I think it would be fine to dump a file in the working directory for
conflict resolution.

> This means there is no chance for a conflict. If I merge you, and I
> haven't seen your tag before, I get your tag. But if I override your
> tag, that means I've seen it, and I want a different value for the tag.
> And if you merge me after I've superseded your tag, then you will get my
> tag value.

I think when two people change a value FROM the same value TO different
values, that should be treated as a conflict, even if you set the value
to OTHER.  People should be notified about that kind of change.

Aaron