bzr read-only errors need improvement (was Re: bzr requires write permissions to root directory of repository)

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Mon Feb 20 15:29:40 GMT 2006

also sprach John A Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> [2006.02.20.1623 +0100]:
> Except if you have -w on all directories. revert won't work at all.
> Because IIRC we do the same atomic replace for any working tree changes.

i see. i guess then maybe my use case is just off. shotting flies
with canonballs? :)

> And we can't use TMPDIR for something like "bzr revert" or "bzr merge",
> because of the atomic rename stuff. TMP is not guaranteed to be on the
> same filesystem.

yes. that suggestion was for the commit log only. But I do think
that .bzr is a better place, and that users should just be given
tools like bzr edit-log or the like to edit it, rather than to
expect a file to be found in the working dir. abstraction! :)

--
 .''`.     martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>
`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"the good thing about standards is
 that there are so many to choose from."
                                                -- andrew s. tanenbaum