user_encoding fix

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sun Feb 19 15:26:25 GMT 2006

Nir Soffer wrote:

> There is no such term US locale in Mac OS X. You can set locale related
> preferences in the International page in System Preferences.
>
> As a test I created a new user on 10.3, which get English language first
> in the language tab, and Israel (English) in the Format tab. I switched
> the format to United States. Then I opened the Terminal for the first
> time, and it uses Unicode (UTF-8).
>
> Trying to create and complete file names at the shell show they use utf-8:
> $ mkdir test
> $ cd test
> [switch to Hebrew in the Input Menu]
> $ touch \327\220\327\221\327\222
> $ echo *
> אבג
>
> I did not test this on 10.4 yet.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Nir Soffer

I'm guessing that on Mac OS X, terminals are just UTF-8 encoded. (Most
new Linux terminals are as well). The only platform we would really have
a problem with is windows.

Anyway, if we do some rigorous testing, I would probably be okay with
just forcing all output encodings on Mac to be utf-8. But we would need
to test it pretty thoroughly.