transport lock methods

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Feb 17 22:56:31 GMT 2006

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 10:39 -0600, John A Meinel wrote:
> ..
>> I agree that we don't really want to make 0.8 a watershed. But how would
>> you recommend doing it properly. If you are planning to stay cooperative
>> with bzr-0.7, then we need to leave locks the way they are.
>
> We can move them around in the code base though.
>
> For instance we can fix a bug in 0.7 by:
> os locking where we can
> locking branch-lock.write-lock *as well* irrespective of transport as
> long as its writable.
>
> Rob

I suppose that is good enough. You still have a double lock, and what do
you do if one exists but the other doesn't, etc. I suppose we just need
to always unlock in order, and unlock in the opposite order. Though we
still have race conditions against clients or transports that don't
handle both locks.