creating checkouts, bound branches and standalone branches from an existing branch

Vincent LADEUIL v.ladeuil at alplog.fr
Wed Feb 15 08:22:28 GMT 2006

    Denys> jblack at merconline.com (James Blackwell) writes:
    >> Heh. Do we both agree and disagree?

    Denys> I don't know, but I get the impression that you
    Denys> believe that I am trying to dumb down the UI.  That is
    Denys> not at all the case.  I would like the UI to offer:

    Denys>   1. a small set of friendly commands that are easy to
    Denys> explain in terms that matter to casual users and
    Denys> address, in an intuitive fashion, the use cases that
    Denys> they care about

    Denys>   2. a complete set of specific commands for more
    Denys> advanced use cases

+1

    >> Remote and local should be changed if we follow the rule
    >> that you state.  They're not use cases because they're not
    >> an example of use.

    Denys> Perhaps you'll amend your opinion if I actually
    Denys> provide the descriptive help that is supposed to go
    Denys> with them ;-) so, here goes:

+1 (If my daughter agrees too can I make it a +2 ? :-)

Each time  I had to  explain (in the  last 5 years)  what control
version tools  are to people, it  always comes down  to: "What is
your organization,  what are you  doing, when ?".   Talking about
'repositories',  'branches',  'checkouts'   to  these  people  is
non-sense (not my  words, theirs). If they can  approach bzr with
commands  clearly related to  what they  want to  achieve.... The
adoption will be far easier.

Then, after some time, more needs will arise and *only* then will
there be time  to dig in the full set  of commands and understand
what are all those funny terms.

Anyway, just my 0.02 euros,

        Vincent