Handling filesystem/inventory conflicts in TreeTransform

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Feb 15 07:11:27 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 13:02 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Tree Transform makes a pretty big distinction between
> filesystem/inventory conflicts and merge conflicts.
>
> A filesystem/inventory conflict is a request to perform an operation
> that is illegal according to POSIX or the Inventory contract.
>
> Here are some examples:
> - - Adding a file to a deleted directory
> - - Deleting a directory without deleting its files, first
> - - Versioning a file in an unversioned directory
> - - Making a directory into its own parent directory
> - - Creating a file on top of another file
>
> By contrast, merge conflicts indicate that two trees did
> textually-incompatible things.  E.g. One tree modified a file, and the
> other tree deleted it.
>
> Tree Transform will resolve filesystem/inventory conflicts, or die
> trying.  (If it does die trying, the directory will be unaltered.)
>
> So often, there's not necessarily anything for the user to do.
>
> So
> 1. Should we require the user to resolve these? (there's often nothing
> to do)

If its a conflict and there is any choice about how to resolve it (i.e.
'that file does not matter' vs 'that file should be added in $otherdir')
then yes, the user should be able to resolve it.

> 2. Should we consider these to be conflicts at all?

Yes

> 3. If they're conflicts, should bzr conflicts list them?

Yes

> 4. If they're not conflicts, should we produce a nonzero exit code?

No

> 5. If they're not conflicts, how should we notify the user that we've
> resolved them?

If they aren't conflicts then AIUI conflicts there cannot be any chance
of data loss or change to the users data, so theres no notification
needed. But by my understanding of conflicts these are most definately
such.

Rob