[merge] bzr re-sign update

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Feb 14 17:58:05 GMT 2006

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> John A Meinel wrote:
>>> I updated 'bzr re-sign' so that it can take more than one revision id as
>>> an argument.
>>> I'm seeking a +1 so I can put it into integration.
>
> +1, but it would be cooler if you could re-sign all your old revisions
> without using xargs.
>
> Aaron

I could see that as a plugin, not necessarily a core feature
(bzr sign-all-of-me). That could check all revisions, and if a revision
doesn't have a signature, and the committer matches the local committer,
it would create a new signature.

Because it is a migration step, I think of it more as a plugin, rather
than a builtin. You shouldn't normally re-sign old commits. (Then again,
that is an argument that re-sign should also be a plugin :)

IMO, the biggest issue with signing old commits is that they won't
propogate. I'm taking extra care to make sure that after I signed all of
my bzr-jam-integration commits, then I went around and copied them to
different projects that I'm working on. (The nice thing is that
rpush/rpull *will* download signatures for old revisions).

Perhaps with knits it will be less painful to detect new signatures on
old revisions. (Since we have to download the index file anyway to get
the new signatures).

Actually, now that I think about it, I still need some sort of
"sign-all-of-me" because while I have the signatures from
jam-integration, my encodings branch doesn't have signatures for
non-integration revisions.

So what do you think, Aaron. Is this a core feature, or just something
for a plugin. I'll go ahead and merge my re-sign changes, because I
think they're useful. But we can do more as well.