creating checkouts, bound branches and standalone branches from an existing branch

Denys Duchier duchier at ps.uni-sb.de
Tue Feb 14 14:01:43 GMT 2006

jblack at merconline.com (James Blackwell) writes:

>> I would propose that:
>>
>> 	bzr get --commit=remote       URL PATH
>>         bzr get --commit=local,remote URL PATH
>>         bzr get --commit=local        URL PATH
>
> I propose the following:
> ------------------------
>  bzr branch
>  bzr branch [-c|--checkout]
>  bzr branch [-u|--unbound]
>  bzr branch [-b|--bound]
>  bzr branch --lightly-bound

I think you missed the point of my proposal since you offer another one --
looking singularly like my earlier one for "create" btw :-) -- based again on
terminology rather than on use case; and you are suggesting short options, a sin
for which I have already been castigated :-)

You and I keep often company on IRC, asking lifeless to clarify what this
terminology is really supposed to mean; and that should be an indication that
terminology is perhaps not the right way to approach the design of the UI.  At
least, it should not be the only way: there should be an easier point of entry.

Jam revised my proposal and suggested to rename --commit to --access which
indeed is a better choice:

	bzr get --access=remote       URL PATH
	bzr get --access=local,remote URL PATH
	bzr get --access=local        URL PATH

For _creating_ repos and branches, I haven't yet thought of a nice way to think
about use cases in a uniform and intuitive fashion.  It would be nice to have
something like:

	bzr new ...	start a new project
        bzr get ...	get a copy of an existing project

but I have not yet been able to flesh out the "bzr new" idea in a way that makes
me happy.

Cheers,

--Denys