Repository Reference Rollup (was Re: Repository referencing in command lines)

Vincent LADEUIL v.ladeuil at alplog.fr
Tue Feb 14 10:54:27 GMT 2006

    >> writes:
    >>

    Denys> I don't get where repo:<repo_url>:<branch_name> is any
    Denys> different from <repo_url>/<branch_name>

    >>  8-/ Because both <repo_url> and <branch_name> can
    >> contain  '/' ?  Because ':' can disambiguate in that
    >> case (and make things clearer for both user and the
    >> programmer ) ?
    >>

    Denys> To disambiguate, you'd need an ambiguity.

    >>  1) Repo: foo/bar, Branch: baz/qux
    >>
    >> 2) Repo: foo, Branch: bar/baz/qux
    >>
    >> leads to:
    >>
    >> foo/bar/baz/qux is either 1 or 2

    Erik> I think this is perfect.

I don't get it :-(

Denys ask  where the ambiguity was,  I show an  example, and then
you say:  "perfect". What  is perfect ?  The example  showing the
ambiguity or the fact that there is an ambiguity ?

    Erik> As an end user I shouldn't NEED to know if it's stored
    Erik> in a repo or not. I should just get a pointer to where
    Erik> to get the branch, and that should be it.

    Erik> If I am a more advanced user (or administrator) I might
    Erik> need to know, and in that case I think a command like
    Erik> "bzr info foo/bar/baz/qux" should give repo location,
    Erik> branch location, revision numbers, rev_ids, etc.

Good point.

    >> foo/bar:baz/qux is 1 foo:bar/baz/qux is 2

    Erik> This is terrible IMHO.

What is terrible  ? The fact that, as a user,  I don't know which
one gives which result ?

    Vincent