Conflict handling

Vincent LADEUIL v.ladeuil at alplog.fr
Mon Feb 13 13:18:06 GMT 2006

    Aaron> Vincent LADEUIL wrote:
    >> <snip/>

    >> "resolve": what is it for and what the heck does it do?
    >>
    Aaron> Well, it's for marking a conflict as resolved.  I
    Aaron> agree that could be expanded, but I'm not sure what
    Aaron> else to say, and I'm happy to admit this is because of
    Aaron> my implementor perspective.
    >>

    >> But why the hell do I have to mark a conflict as resolved
    >> ?

    Aaron> We thought that it would be bad to accidentally commit
    Aaron> a revision that contained unresolved conflicts.

    >> I have already worked to resolve this conflict !

    Aaron> Bzr can't detect whether the <<<<<<< markers in a file
    Aaron> are from new conflicts or not.  So it detects whether
    Aaron> there are conflicts based on the presence of .THIS
    Aaron> .BASE and .OTHER files

Ha. Ok.

    >> And worse, even informing bzr that I resolved it, I still
    >> have spurious files staying in my work dirs...

    Aaron> You should not have any .THIS .BASE or .OTHER files
    Aaron> after resolving conflicts.  Which spurious files do
    Aaron> you mean?

Errr,  my bad,  I get  confused by  my occasional  use of  baz on
another project :-) Sorry for the noise.

    >> I don't get the point here. Is it something still under
    >> work ? Or will it stay that way in final version ?

    Aaron> There will probably be some enhancements to conflict
    Aaron> handling, but I don't think this part will go away.

As far as there is:
- a easy way to ask bzr what files are in conflict,
- a simple  way to handle  the conflicts (automatic will  be even
  better),
- no cleaning to do afterwards.

I'll be happy :)

     Vincent