Repository referencing in command lines

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Sun Feb 12 22:52:16 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 09:12 +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 17:06 -0500, Kevin Smith wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 06:16 -0600, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> > > The other side, where "bzr get http://bazaar-ng.org/bzr/bzr.dev" could
> > > mean a standalond branch at /bzr/bzr.dev, or a branch called bzr.dev
> > > in a repository at /bzr; I think I care a less about the ambiguity
> > > there.
> >
> > ArX had this ambiguity and it drove me crazy!

> What was the specific ambiguity?

Hm. It has been a couple years now, so I don't remember the details. A
quick archive scan hints that certain commands only operated on archives
(repos), some only operated on branches, and some could take either one.
Especially since I was not that familiar with heavily-branched
development, it wasn't always clear to me whether the URL I was entering
was a branch or not, nor whether the command I was using wanted an
archive or a branch.

The problems was compounded by some unclear error messages, and the fact
that x/y was not interpreted the same as x/y/

Hope that helps,

Kevin