[MERGE] bzr-dir phase 2

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Feb 12 22:48:10 GMT 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 16:42 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> Right, but the api shouldn't be that sprout() creates a standalone
> should it? If format 4,5,6 all only support that, I'm okay with it.
> But
> we want an api that doesn't changed when we get repositories.

bzrdir formats 5,6,7 all create standalone trees when you sprout. Format
4 is readonly these days.

With repositories, the sprout routine will be modified to use a
repository for storage if one exists. As for working tree initialisation
at the same time, I think we can talk about it. This api will be in the
same release as repositories - 0.8 - so I'm happy with it being fluid
until then.

What I had envisioned is a keyword to sprout to force on or off the use
of an existing repository, and likewise for the creation of a working
tree. (It -has- to create a branch always.). On SFTP for instance it
will quietly not create a working tree. And I'd like a repository flag
to control default creation of working trees - I can see having a
repository at ~/source/baz for all my bzr work and I will want working
trees much of the time. I'd also like a command to nuke a working tree
but leave the branch intact. But thats separate.

Rob