Repository referencing in command lines (was Re: 08:16 < abentley> Better phrasing: [...])

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 16:49:32 GMT 2006

> > Then to access a branch you have simply:
> >
> > bzr get $REPO/bzr/dev/jam/
> >
> > rather than
> > bzr get $REPO/bzr/ --branch=dev-jam
>
> Roughly, I dislike this because it's harder to see by eye what the
> branch name is.  I mean, if I say
> "sftp://foo@bar/depot/repo/nix/run/shazaam", am I referring to a
> branch called "shazaam", or one called "run/shazaam", or...  I like it
> being obvious what's what.

I just wanted to give my +1 to John's syntax.

One reason that was sooo much better in svn than in cvs is the following

cvs -d :pserver:user at host.domain:port/path co path/to/branch
vs.
svn co svn://user@host.domain/path/to/branch

it's much easier to type, remember and use.  As a user you do not NEED
to understand what a repository is, which I think is a big plus.  I
think most users of svn don't know that and shouldn't have to.

If it's not 100% obvious to you we can always create a bzr info
command that shows you repository, branch etc.

Regards,
Erik