08:16 < abentley> Better phrasing: 'what circumstances should cause us to produce a working tree in a repository branch'?

Denys Duchier duchier at ps.uni-sb.de
Thu Feb 9 11:14:04 GMT 2006

Jari Aalto <jari.aalto at cante.net> writes:

>>> People don't like copious help.  They like direct, to-the-point help.
>>
>> I agree with Aaron. Big help does not fit on 45/50-lines terminal screen
>> (but often people forced to use even 25-lines terminal screen), and it
>> force to use pager all the time that somewhat boring.  Not so good as
>> short help that works as handy reminder.

I'd like to point out that I did not propose that --help should fill the screen
with pages of rambling irrelevant text; that was a strawman argument put up by
Aaron.  Of course I agree that default --help should be terse and to the point;
I am not out of my mind.  I merely suggested that more extensive help could also
be available when explicitly requested; what could possibly be so controversial
about that?

> I think it wrong assumption to require 25-line terminal to be used as
> standard in todays world. Most of the systems are window- (X,
> Microsoft, etc.*) enabled.
>
> There are programs that are specifically tailored to paginate the
> output.
>
> Jari

--Denys