08:16 < abentley> Better phrasing: 'what circumstances should cause us to produce a working tree in a repository branch'?

Denys Duchier duchier at ps.uni-sb.de
Wed Feb 8 22:56:27 GMT 2006

Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> writes:

> Denys Duchier wrote:
>>>Current things being discussed:
>>> * flag in the repository [defaults to do not create]e
>>

>> -1.  I am against such a flag.
>
> Could you expand on why?

It's an invisible knob changing user-level command semantics.

>> bzr create [--repository] [--branch | --clone BRANCH] [--checkout] [LOCATION]
>
> Personally, I think this would make things harder for everyone.  Point
> taken, bzr branch is really a bunch of different operations.  But I
> think only a few combinations are useful, and we can break those out as
> separate commands.

I don't see why you believe that separate commands are easier than separate
options.  They might be easier for the implementer, but we are discussing UI
here.  I think it is easier for a user to remember that there is one command to
create things, and that makes it also easier to lookup the copious --help that
should be associated with it.

... but maybe that's just me

--Denys