nested tree remaining questions

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Feb 8 20:36:46 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 14:10 -0600, John A Meinel wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:

> >  * What should .bzr-child-locations look like. At UBZ it was a control
> > file in the source tree. I think now that its better to have it as bzr
> > managed data - add a 'bzr edit-child-locations' command to show it to
> > the user, but not pollute their tree with [and incidentally allow us to
> > extend the format in the future]. Seeking a +1 on '.bzr-child-locations
> > is versioned data'
> >

> I'm not 100% sure if .bzr-child-locations needs to be versioned. While I
> like versioning everything... I'm just thinking that if I move my branch
> from location X to Y, then there is nothing in X, or even worse, I might
> move something else into X, and then you get the wrong thing.

Well we identify by revid + root id, so I doubt that you could get the
wrong thing. Fail to get - yes, get wrong - no.

> On the other hand, a different use case for changing the child location,
> is because you want to point at a feature branch. Which having it be
> versioned would be helpful.

Seems to me there are three options :
* an unversioned 'thing' on disk, present in [say] any or all of repo,
branch, tree, and consulted in reverse order.
* a versioned file - thus essentially present in the tree,
* versioned data - like the .bzrignore plan a tree version of the
'current' data would exist too.

So the questions to disambiguate are:
 * is the format of the representation something we might want to
change? Yes, I think so. This rules out 'versioned file'.
 * Are historical versions of the data relevant? Yes - if I had a nested
branch a year ago but do not now, even if I clean up the hints, a
'branch -r -1000' operation should be able to access them. This rules
out 'unversioned thing'

Thus - versioned data.

Does that help ?

Rob