reintroducing root ids

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Feb 8 20:21:46 GMT 2006

Robert Collins wrote:
> So, two concepts now - repo scaling and nested trees have +1s on using
> root ids.
>

> Now we need an algorithm to sanely introduce them to existing trees, and
> generate them in new trees.
>
> I kinda like Aarons 'add them when you commit with the parent being the
> NULL_REVISION' concept.
>

> Related to this is the root id to use in arch conversions - if you
> convert two related branches independently we should end up with the
> same root id.
>

> I dont have a proposal to make, other than that we figure this out :)
>
> Rob

I think we could make merging a tree which changes from TREE_ROOT to a
real root id, update the local tree, without being a big hassle. Then
Martin could update bzr.dev, and whenever the rest of us merge him, we
would get the same root id.
It makes root id propogate without having to be done with everyone
upgrading at the same time.

(TREE_ROOT would become the wildcard root id which always matches other
root ids).

Or something like that. This would give us a transition period. Which
can be nice.