branch locking mk2.

Nir Soffer nirs at freeshell.org
Wed Feb 8 12:19:59 GMT 2006

On 8 Feb, 2006, at 3:25, Robert Collins wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 03:13 +0200, Nir Soffer wrote:
>> Check MoinMoin/util/lock.py, which has similar but simpler design
>> using
>> only directories. Its about having one write lock or multiple read
>> locks per resource.
>
> Well, we're not looking for read locks at all.

I'm not sure why you don't need those, so I explain how they work in
moin:

ReadLock is required when you want to lock a resource that have many
components that must be synced. While you update the resource, nobody
can read it, because the components may be out of sync during an
update.

In moin case, read locks are used for lupy search index. Many processes
can read the same index in the same time, while only one process may
update the index.

Isn't this required for bzr? many clients reading the same branch in
the same time, only one can change it?

Best Regards,

Nir Soffer