bzr speed

James Henstridge james.henstridge at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 08:16:42 GMT 2006

On 08/02/06, Diwaker Gupta <diwaker.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/7/06, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 18:58 -0800, Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> > > Two days back I did a 'bzr branch' on the main bzr.dev branch. I was
> > > on a reasonably fast cable line, and it took *more than one hour* for
> > > the operation to finish.
> >
> > What bzr were you using ? If you where using 0.7 its largely fixed in
> > bzr.dev itself.
>
> I was indeed using bzr 0.7. After my pull yesterday, I installed bzr
> from bzr.dev and 'bzr version' now reports 0.8pre. So I thought I'll
> do a clean pull again today -- it still took MORE than an hour.

The initial pull downloads the entire history, which is ~ 34MB right now.

There is definitely room to improve the HTTP transport though, including:
 * support keep alive requests, to reduce TCP connection setup overhead
 * support compressed response bodies.

The second one here would require the user to configure their web
server to support compression too, but should improve things when it
is supported.

James.