Is bzr *appropriate* and *ready* for me?

Jari Aalto jari.aalto at cante.net
Tue Feb 7 16:52:25 GMT 2006

jorges <jorgesmbox-ml at yahoo.es> writes:

> So far I worked alone on these projects, but
> from two different places (home & university), so the compelling reason
> to use an SCM was *both* to be able to follow back my own footsteps and
> to sync the work done from these two places easier.

Judging from this standpoint: Distributed SCM (bzr) is wrong for you.

Explanation: I work in many different, discrete, locations, which run
on several OSs. I need several accounts (sysadm, regular user) that
share same shell and other system file setup for number or hosts. When
I make a change somewhere I want it to propagate to all other places
("synch" as you do).

The central repository is for this kind of work:

         a  b  c
          \ | /
         -  o  - d
          / | \

         A = Host 1
         B = Host 2
         C = host 3
         D ...

When you make change in (A) you "check in" the changes centrally. When
you log in (B) you may find out to be out of synch and issue
"update" get the changes there.

Just like in SVN, CVs, Perforce et all.

The distributed bzr is for something. When it gets support for
centralized storage, it may become "all around" SCM.

Jari