lsprof

David Allouche david at allouche.net
Tue Feb 7 15:17:35 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 13:08 -0500, James Blackwell wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 11:54:09PM +0100, David Allouche wrote:
> > The human brain, or my brain at least, has a much easier time making
> > sense of colourfully presented graph data than building a eye's mind
> > image of the graph from dry numbers.
> >
> > There's a whole discipline based on that theme, it's called data mining.
>
> Odd coincidence. I'm reading a book entitled "Data Mining". The subject of
> that book isn't about making graphs (at least not unless you count trees),
> but about machine learning.

Generally, data mining is about making sense out of large data sets.
Machine learning is one of techniques of use in that context.

Thank you for the heads up. I was certainly overdoing my point about the
importance of data presentation.

One use of machine learning applied to profiling data could be: a "find
the bottlenecks" feature in a profiling data presentation application.
Powerful visualisation tools are pertinent in that context to help
interpret the results.

Caveat: I am not speaking of something I know well, tell me if you think
I'm spouting nonsense.
--
                                                            -- ddaa