scaling of shared storage

Wouter van Heyst larstiq at larstiq.dyndns.org
Mon Feb 6 15:37:01 GMT 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 09:40:35AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> One of the things we handwaved in UBZ was the size of the shared
> inventory store in shared repositories. Even though its quite optimal in
> an aggregate sense, it will have data from multiple projects commingled.
>
> I wonder if rather than a single inventory we had a inventory for each
> tree root id [yes those things again] this would be more manageable.
> This implies that the revision would hold the root id itself, so that
> the inventory would be findable.

I have the feeling I'm missing some context on tree roto ids. Iirc
tailor generates file-ids on every tailorization, which makes merging
between two otherwise the same bzr branches made with tailor harder.

Would tree root ids have a similar impact? If each 'bzr branch'
invocation makes a new id it won't, but now I'm again uncertain I
understand what root ids are supposed to solve.

Wouter van Heyst